Monday, April 14, 2008

More on mundane.

My oldest son, Dustin, sent me this via e-mail. I'm not sure whether to thank him or thump him. That depends on what he's trying to tell me, I guess!

I decided to post it here. Having no idea where it came from orginally, I can't make any sort of attribution. Sorry to whomever if my publishing it here is a problem.

It certainly fits in with what we've been talking about lately. The fact that using a motorcycle for everyday transportation can be somewhat less than exciting. In the same vein, I still struggle with totally giving myself over to comfort. There's still this romantic image in my head of the iron jawed hero laughing at the harsh environment while he rides with a minimum of creature comforts. I have a certain reputation to uphold, even if it's only in my own mind. Katie caught me up short one really cold morning a while back. She made this statement to me as I once again snubbed the electrics.

"It's pretty bad when you're still trying to prove something to yourself".

Anyway, here's what Dustin sent to me.


THERE IS A MORAL HERE!


A C-130 was lumbering along when a cocky F-16 flashed by. The jet jockey decided to show off.





The fighter jock told the C-130 pilot, "watch this!" and promptly went into a barrel roll followed by a steep climb. He then finished with a sonic boom as he broke the sound barrier. The F-16 pilot asked the C-130 pilot what he thought of that? The C-130 pilot said,

"That was impressive, but watch this!"



The C-130 droned along for about 5 minutes and then the C-130 pilot came back on and said:

"What did you think of that?"

Puzzled, the F-16 pilot asked,

"What the heck did you do? "

The C-130 pilot chuckled.

"I stood up, stretched my legs, walked to the back, went to the bathroom, then got a cup of coffee and a cinnamon bun."

When you are young & foolish - speed & flash may seem a good thing !!! When you get older & smarter - comfort & dull is not such a bad thing !!!

We old folks understand this one!

( end of message )

Fly fast and far. Fly low and slow. Mix it up a little. It's all good! What's important is that we fly ( or ride ) in the first place.

Miles and smiles,

Dan

6 comments:

Dru_ said...

I love it. I *could* drive the comfortable car (heated seats, stereo, etc). I *could* ride a sport bike that is fast and flashy. I *could* ride a chromed out piece of art, but then again, none of these suit me.

Perhaps, it's not just age, but also personality. Sometimes the perversity and adversity of riding in less than ideal conditions isn't about proving anything more than I *am* alive and not just another drone doing the same thing as the other drones. I've chosen a different path, one that sometimes means I take the long way around even if it's not perfect outside.

redlegsrides said...

interesting line of thinking....lately I've been having what I believe are "snooty" thoughts as I start seeing more and more motorcyclists on the daily commutes/weekend rides. I catch myself thinking: So, where were all you guys a few weeks ago when it was colder and less optimal?

Or...I catch myself thinking, yeah I could go ride for a bit but the roads will be full of cages/bikes since the weather is so nice....

I feel guilty for thinking these, since the more people riding out there, the better the representation and awareness of us motorcyclists....

and, it's not like I am really roughing it, riding on a full-fairinged motorcycle with heated grips and if necessary, a heated vest!

still....the thoughts return....

Unknown said...

Your airplane story reminds me of another, which I'm sure I could rationalize some reason to post other than it's funny. :)

Late at night a ship's captain sees a flashing light ahead of him, on a collision course. He commands the radio operator to make contact and demand the other ship turn away. The radio operator says the other ship refuses. The captain takes up the mic himself.

"This is Captain Kid and I demand you turn away."
"Sir, this is seaman Jones, and I suggest you turn away."
"Seaman, I command the latest battleship in the United States Navy. She has 12 sixteen inch guns and armor over three feet thick. Turn away now!"
"Captain, I tend a lighthouse on a large rock, I suggest you turn away."

The moral of the story is whatever you want it to be. I just think it's a funny story. :)

Dave T.

irondad said...

Dru,
We must share the same personality types. I'm not a herd animal and never have been. Commuting on a bike makes that perfectly clear, I think.

Charlie6,
I did the same thing on Saturday. It's been cold forever. Suddenly we get one day in the 70's. Like the bugs, the riders were out in force. A comment I made to Katie was like yours. "Where were you riders all Winter?"

I've seen some of your photos of the company parking lot with snow and your bike. If you decide to pass up on a ride, you've nothing to prove, Sir.

Dave,
Maybe the moral is that nobody should take themselves too seriously. Perhaps it's that no matter how big and shiny our bikes are, we should first make sure we're enough without them.

Thanks for sharing the story. It was entertaining.

Take care,
Dan

Steve Williams said...

Perhaps the moral of the story points towards experience and awareness. There is a lot of positive things to say about physical comfort related to riding or driving. Rejecting those things for a simpler, rawer experience doesn't have to mean proving something. It might also be a means to stay in touch with the world around us, how we think about it, what it feels like. For me it was always about being alive.

Lavish comfort may feel good but numb some of the senses at the same time.

I sure did like having electric gloves though and not spend time this winter huddled along the road with my hands on the headlight or muffler. But maybe I missed something in that experience.

Who the hell knows...

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks

Conchscooter said...

Because it's fun. Stop over thinking things. You remember doing it as a kid when it was all you could afford, plastic bags on your feet and newspaper under your leather jacket. Now you do it because life seemed simpler (was NOT!) and you want to have fun. There is nothing quite so invigorating as arriving dry when its raining. Snow? I don't know about snow!